You’re probably wondering what is ‘Tour de Habitat’ or how do I get involved? Each year Lake Agassiz Habitat for Humanity holds Tour de Habitat-an annual stationary bike race where teams compete against each other to raise money for Lake Agassiz Habitat for Humanity. All proceeds support the building of homes for families in need in Cass and Clay Counties; making homeownership a reality for these hard-working families in our area. In 2012, Lake Agassiz Habitat for Humanity hopes to raise $40,000 through Tour de Habitat.
At Tour de Habitat, teams of six cyclists compete against each other for most miles biked, and most dollars raised for Habitat. Each team member takes their turn to see how many miles they can pedal a stationary bike in one 15 minute-heat. Prizes will be awarded to both individuals and teams for the most money raised, most miles ridden, plus many more!
As a rider, you can work towards achieving your New Year’s resolution while helping to raise funds and awareness for Lake Agassiz Habitat for Humanity. Working out isn’t your resolution? That’s fine too! You can still spend a fun Saturday afternoon leisurely pedaling and cheering on your teammates as you work together to make a lasting difference in the lives of local families.
How Do I Get Involved?
Start by building a team: Building a team is easy! Find 5 friends, coworkers, relatives, etc. and come up with a team name. Then register your team by having each member set up their individual fundraising page at: www.firstgiving.com/LAHFH and follow the Team Checklist.
- Form a team of six riders and designate a captain. Register teams by February 24, 2012.
- Hold a team meeting. Decide on a team name, rider order, a theme or make a miles/funds challenge to another team.
- Set Fundraising Goals: $250 minimum per cyclist ($1,500 for the team). Create your own fundraising page at: www.firstgiving.com/LAHFH.
- Ask for help reaching your fundraising goal. Reach out to your family, friends, coworkers, neighbors, book club members, associates, Christmas card list, etc. and ask them to help you, help Habitat! Use your fundraising page to securely raise money online up to the day of the event. Turn in “off-line” pledges (cash/checks) by March 2 at the LAHFH office (210 N 11th St. in Moorhead).
- Come ready to have fun on Saturday, March 3rd at Courts Plus Fitness Center!
So get started on your New Year’s resolution today – Bike to Build and Start a Team!
Call Jackie at 218-284-5253 x2 or email firstname.lastname@example.org